Thursday, March 28, 2013

We Want You...To Be a Writer, too."




One of the benefits of all of these de-lurkers coming out and commenting is to confirm that Zyra and I really aren't just talking to one or two people and that's it.  Not that those one or two regular commenters aren't very important, it's just nice to hear from others, you know?  One recurring theme I've noticed is many lurkers who say that they don't write.  I'm not saying everyone has to write but it just got me thinking about a few things I might want to say to those people and then, voila, the beauty of having a blog - I get to say those things to them even if they don't want to hear it.

I guess because I enjoy writing so much I feel the necessity to encourage others to give it a shot.  I mean I get that it just isn't for everyone, but if you have at least THOUGHT about it, entertained the idea for one iota of a second, then you have desire to write and, in my opinion, have nothing to lose if you pursue it.  How many other hidden, scary desires can you say that about?  You don't HAVE to share what you write, (although you know we'd all like to see it).  But if that's what's stopping you from writing, don't let it.  Just get it out on paper with the understanding amongst your inner self that you never intend to share it with anyone.  Don't let US be your roadblock.

The thing about writing, in my opinion, is perspective.  Everyone has a different perspective on everything.  It may be similiar or in agreement to what someone else has written or said, but when you write it down, it's yours.  And if it's grammar or spelling or punctuation that you're letting slow you down, none of that affects perspective. 

I have a son that has a penchant for writing.  He takes notes on his iTouch about whatever strikes him.  Now I know the majority of the reason I enjoy reading what he has written is because he is my son and by default whatever he creates is amazing.  But it's more than that.  For instance, when he writes about a road trip that I was with him nearly 100% of the time and then I read about it, I get to see that same trip through his eyes and it's an entirely different journey.  That's particularly awesome.  Now, he's only 10 so grammar, spelling and punctuation are not at their best, but his story comes through regardless (and that's what beta readers are for anyway).

So, it's another Han and Leia story and every aspect of their lives has already been done to infinity?  Until we've heard YOUR take on it, we haven't seen everything.  All I'm saying is, that big or little idea that keeps rolling around in your head?  That tiny piece of dialogue that you run through your mind while driving home from work?  That cute or funny or sexy idea that you thought of the other day and then dismissed it?  Write it down.  That's how I started.  Worry about finding the courage to share it later.

Well, that's it from the soap box for today, folks.  Now go forth and write!   

12 comments:

  1. Reading your post today makes me smile because it represents exactly the way I am about writing. I think I've been imagining Han and Leia's storylines in my head since.... well quite a while. Fanfictions have been a fantastic way for me to go beyond the movies and I found myself searching for the stories I wished I could've written. I have a friend who's a writer and I always loved to give her ideas on a certain love scene, on the characterization of her heroes and villains but since english is not my mother tongue, my few attempts to write in english were not very conclusive. I read and speak English quite well but writing, it's another ball park for me. And there is no French sites like this one, no good french fanfiction stories out there to interest me. But hey, who knows Push, maybe I should give writing another try....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely. You should definitely give it a try. There really isn't anything to lose. And the language part? Well, that's where a beta reader could come in to. I've actually read a Han/Leia story that interested me that was written in German and I used Google translator to read it. There were parts where I was sure that something wasn't translating correctly, but I got the gist of the story and really enjoyed it. You could write in your native tongue and then get a beta to help you translate.

      Keep us posted!

      Delete
  2. I think someone's has been reading my mind...

    I've always loved reading fanfic and have always thought up certain scenarios about these characters from time to time, but I've never been bothered to write it down cause I felt I could never tie it up/make it fit with anything etc. When I found this blog though, it got me thinking maybe I should just write it down for the most part, I don't have to post it, just see what comes out... And I do love writing, I've just never been one to pump out a full blown story, just snippets of things.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't always have to be a grandiose story. It took me a while to figure this out, I always thought I had to find some bigger story to fit around one tiny scene or piece of dialogue. But you really don't, especially if you're just starting and that's all that is standing in your way. Just start small and you can always add later if needed/wanted.

      Good Luck!

      Delete
  3. I've got a few stories in the editorial department. Z's been very helpful in that regard. She offers great suggestions, and she's extremely gentle about it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I no longer have a beta reader but I have a few stories in the works, including a part of my series and 2 AUs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think we all have a story in us. I'm sure most of us imagine little scenarios in our heads for Han and Leia, or get snippets of dialogue. But getting that out of our heads and onto paper/computer can be a daunting experience. But I think anyone can do it with a bit of encouragement. I guess I'm one of the success stories with this. I used to be the biggest lurker you could imagine, then I started participating in things and now I've written two stories, with hope to do more in the future. If I can do it, trust me, anyone can. Just believe in yourself and give it a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Push, are you a writing teacher? You sound as if you are. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, most definitely no. Just someone who has always nurtured a passion for writing (and the written word) even though I might not have always written. I'll always be thankful to fanfiction for allowing me to feel like I'm an author of stories. It's something that I am almost 100% sure would've never happened otherwise.

      Delete
  7. What a true soapbox c:
    I really needed an outlet for all the ideas and I eventually found Fanfiction.net. Yay for internet!

    On an unrelated note, I was surfing mnn.com (really interesting website btw) and found this article:

    Www.mnn.com/lifestyle/natural-beauty-fashion/stories/why-macho-dudes-have-an-edge-in-less-developed-countries

    Have they even seen our fricking Han Solo? Cx I don't know about the rest of you ladies but I am honored to live in the well developed US and I've been harboring a favor towards that man/character since I first saw A New Hope. <_<

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Push. Well said. It's really how I got started too, just some thoughts and scenarios rolling around in there and eventually started putting them down. I think that's where challenges and one shots can be so helpful and fun. It's a nice, compact way of trying it out. I like to read Han and Leia fic as much as I like to write it. So more H/L is always welcome.

    ReplyDelete